Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Miracles

There are in moments of absolute chaotic desperation when the entire world is spinning around that we are given quiet glimpses into heaven. The Spirit comes so forcibly to the heart and soul that even at most awful brink, when everything you care for feels like it is being torn away, that God shows his hand and calms the troubled heart and stills turbulent soul.

Yesterday at 3:00 Melissa’s upper stomach started to swell like a balloon being filled with helium. She was cramping and starting to pass out. With a miracle filled presence of mind, Melissa had me call our doctor in Boise who told us to call 911 and get her to the ER. We called and we went down to the lobby to meet them. The hotel staff at Homewood Suites met us on the way to the lobby. They were helpful and kind. Melissa started to swoon and pass out.

We got her to a chair trying to be careful of the drains and surgery sutures from her week ago procedure. She collapsed into the chair her eyes rolled back in her head and she sagged. I’m sure I yelled, “Melissa stay with me!” and shook her head. Again I yelled, “Melissa stay with me, don’t leave me.” I had begun to pray when we first called 911 and in my heart hadn’t stopped. Melissa opened her unfocused eyes and said, “I think I’m dying.” “Tell the children I love them.” “I love you.” Then she passed out again.

There is a country song “Don’t take the girl.” I must admit that at that moment I fell to me knees next to the chair and prayed out loud. I asked Heavenly Father to please not take Melissa from me. It was at that moment that God spoke in words to my mind to start calling people to get them praying.

I believe God is an accountant. He accrues our prayers and then amortizes them over our lives. I believe that he blesses us (sets up a receivable) and then we earn the blessing and pray for things. Sometimes we accrue for a blessing by proving our faith first. In that moment, I realized more deeply and more intimately how dependent I am on the Lord. How in debt I am.

I began calling. I called my Dad and crying so hard could barely tell him to pray for Melissa. Melissa passed out again and with my dad on the phone I began calling to her to stay with me. She opened her eyes and like a dazed child stared at me. I called Melissa’s mom and the same thing happened. My Mom. Melissa’s Dad. The Phillips. Craig Mullenbach. People at work. LDS, Baptist, Catholics, Jews, all of you. I reached out to all of you and you answered with your prayers and thoughts.

Then the second bolt of spiritual lightening tore through my clouded thoughts. “Give her a blessing.” The words were quiet but forcible and I did what I was told. With all the world watching I reached up and placed my hands on her head and kneeling at her side whispered a blessing in her unhearing ears. In the middle of the blessing her whole body sagged and I thought I was too late and that she was gone. But the words of the blessing that came to my mind and were uttered through whispered tears spoke of healing and life. To that precious thin strong cord I clung.

The ambulance came and for the next 8 ½ hours Melissa would slip in and out of conciseness. They ran tests. And by some miracle were able to clear the obstruction. The pain went away and Melissa came back to me.

Accounting wise many tender mercies were summed together. All those many small miracle, equaled the moving of a mountain. So many times in our lives Melissa and I have committed all that we are and have to Heavenly Father. I committed everything again. There isn’t anything he could ask me for that I wouldn’t and couldn’t give him. He chose to save Melissa, but if he hadn’t … he would still be God and I would still love him. In the great accounting of my life, I am in debt beyond measure. All that I have and all that I can ever achieve is due solely to him.

This week I have walked with God. When at the very depth of hell I stood and looked into an abyss that would swallow me. Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost provided the way for me to breathe. They and they alone snatched me back and kept me and held me in their spirit and sustained me.

In my Book of Mormon reading today ( I read to Melissa) we read about Alma at the Waters of Mormon and our baptismal covenant. It is this eternal binding of eternal family. Of comforting, mourning, rejoicing together, this eternal binding of the spirit that allowed your prayers to be the catalyst to allow God to act in His will and His time. But if not…it would have been right. It is these same prayers and binding that cause us to love and hold and care for each other. So that in my desperation. I thought of all of you. You are my saviors. Your feet are beautiful to me on Mount Zion. It is why even though I was physically alone here in New Orleans, I was not “alone”. God is with us.

Thank you all again and again for your thoughts and prayers. Please keep us there until we safely return home and even then pray for us as we pray for you. Bind yourselves to us as we bind ourselves to you. God bless you all.

Love,
Jesse

14 comments:

Scott-n-Allison said...

I think that we have many "Waters of Mormon" in our lives...places and events that become especially tender to us because it was in those circumstances that we came to know and continue to get to know to our Savior. We often talk about our biggest trials becoming our biggest blessings because they enable us to see the hand of God at work in our lives. Though painful and scary and demanding, our trials refine us and make us who He would have us be...if we stay close to Him. We continue to pray and think of you daily. Much love from our hearts to yours!

jessica said...

How you are able to write about all of this is a miracle to me. But what a blessing to have all of this recorded.

Like I mentioned in a comment before I hardly know you or Melissa, it's only through this blogging world that I have gotten to know you. But you have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since Melissa posted about her condition and this surgery. I want you to know that yesterday at around three fifteen, I only remember the time because I was picking my daughter up from school, I had a very distinct impression to pray for Melissa...and so of course I did! I just barely checked your blog and I am once again amazed at how well the Father is aware of each of us and through each other our testimonies our strengthened.

Hang in there! I know the Lord is holding your hand through this.

Bridget said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you could summon the emotional energy to write this blog post. Thank you for sharing it. We will continue to pray for Melissa and your family.

Melinda said...

What a rollercoaster ride you've been on. I'm glad Melissa is now ok. HOw scary for you both.

Becca said...

You are such a spiritual man and it is touching to read your thoughts and prayers. We are praying for you.

Philip and Melissa said...

Hard times are sometimes difficult in a marriage...but I can see that these events have made you realize what you have. Melissa is definitely a great lady...and you...a good man. thanks for sharing your story, jesse.

Bridget said...

Jesse, can I put a link to your blog on mine asking for more prayers for Melissa? As you said, I think the more the better. If you'd rather not have your blog so out there I understand too.

Teresa said...

I can't imagine what your reality was like in those moments. You have incredible faith and love and we are so grateful that the Lord led you in what you should do and that Melissa is doing well (or at least okay) now. I feel like I always cry when I read your blog entries...

Lots of love and prayers for you guys.

Jesse said...

Bridget -

Melissa would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much.

Jesse and Melissa

Tami said...

Thank you for sharing these personal moments. We were SO worried and felt totally helpless, felt like traitors to be having fun while Melissa was so ill. Thankfully there's no extra charge for digital roaming prayers. And thankfully He doesn't get tired of us pleading, "Please bless Melissa and Jesse!!" I'm so so so grateful she pulled through, that you had the presence of mind to listen to inspiration, that she is back on the mend again. Thanks for keeping us posted. Know we love you!!

Shauna said...

Still thinking and praying for Melissa. Hope she is on the road to recovery now.

Lauren in GA said...

I am shaking and crying as I type. What an incredible example both of you are. Such an intense series of events. I am so inspired by both of you. Thank you for posting this. I am going to read it to my husband, too.

Rachael said...

I talked with Melinda yesterday and she told me what happened. I am relieved to know everything turn out alright. We continue to pray for her and your whole family. The strength of your faith strengthens others, including mine. Thanks for sharing it!

Penny said...

Hi there. I found your blog through Jessica. She was telling me about you and what has been going on with you and your family lately. I came to see your blog and was amazed at all your family has been through and what wonderful, strong people you are. I really don't even know what to say. Reading the things that Jesse wrote and imagining what he must have been feeling was gut wrenching. I know that we don't know eachother but I truly believe in be "bound together". You and your family are in my prayers. And I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better.