Tuesday, April 22, 2008

From Jesse --- Like 2 Sparrows in a Hurricane

Do you remember the song "Like 2 Sparrows in a Hurricane"?

That is how I feel. They took Melissa away two hours ago. I am sitting alone in the hospital room. I drift in and out of sleep. All of my dreams are filled with her. Then I wake up alone.

I want to thank you all for the support, love, and friendship you have shown us. For all of your thoughts and prayers. I feel them encircling me and us. We are bound together and knitted to each other as we share the burden.

There have been moments in all of this where I couldn’t breathe. From sitting in the NIH office in Washington DC being told that Melissa had tested positive for the BRCA1 mutation to sitting in the doctors office at NOLA in New Orleans today. It strange to at times feel powerless in all of this. To watch my wife bravely going through this for our family.

She is an amazing woman. She is quiet and unassuming. She is velvet steel. When I am with her I can breathe. She is an example of all that is good in the world.

We have been given a gift of foreknowledge with the miracles of today’s modern medicine. It marvelous that we can do things to mitigate the risk of cancer. It is empowering to know that we are not totally helpless.

I think that is amazing too that so many women who are facing this (either fighting a war before the enemy attacks or those who fight the good fight with the enemy already) go on fighting cancer each day. So many putting on a brave face to hide their pain and fear from the world. I am amazed.

I am so grateful that my wife is doing this thing. I cannot imagine living without here. I am grateful that we have been blessed with a foreknowledge of what to do. I am so grateful that she is willing to sacrifice for our family.

In all of this I have felt especially close to Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ. It is amazing to me to know that Jesus Christ felt this pain and fear as he knelt in the Garden of Gethsemane. I am grateful that he took on himself all of the pains and sicknesses of the world. It is the quiet breath of heaven of the Holy Ghost encircling me that lifts and comforts me. I am grateful for calming priesthood blessings that lift me.

Again I thank you for helping Melissa and I. For being a safe place to talk and share and strengthen. You are all marvelous.

God bless you all. I will try and post and let you know how this all goes.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Scott-n-Allison said...

You sound good and I'm glad. When I talked to Melissa last week that was one of my first questions..."How is Jesse?" You have always been very protective of her and feel her trials very personally. The Obergs are sending happy thoughts, lots of love and many prayers your way today! Keep us updated!

Jesse said...

I am encouraged by the great doctors, the preisthood blessings, and the faith, prayers, and fastings of family and friends.

Melinda said...

It is a great blessing to be able to know about the trait in Melissa's family in advance. And to have been chosen to be tested. HOpe this day goes by fast for you and that there are smiles at the end of the day.

Siouxsie said...

Jesse, you make me cry...not that it's that hard to make me cry but you do it so well. I hope you're doing good because it blessedly sounds like Melissa is. Thanks for the updates. Love & prayers going your way from our family!!
~Siouxsie

Becky said...

the longest 6 hours of your life! Have you eaten the whole bag yet???
We are thinking about you today!
thanks for the updates, can't wait to hear how it went.
Love you both!
Becky and Dave

MaryandDan said...

Jesse, you are a very eloquent writer. What love you and Melissa share and what strong faith you have. I agree, she is a brave girl and has had such strength. We are so lucky to have the medical technology and the comfort of the Holy Ghost. We will pray that all will go well and that she will be strong again soon! You are a wonderful husband and strength to her. Love to you both! M & D

Rachael said...

What a thoughtful and loving husband you are. I'm grateful you are feeling the love and comfort the gospel brings. We are praying for her, and your family. Keep us posted.

Teresa said...

That was very beautiful and thoughtful...and made me cry. Life certainly knows how to throw in some crazy and unexpected things. You guys are amazing and we hope & pray that the Lord has his arms around you as you both go through this.

mahina said...

you both are amazing! melissa is definitely in our thoughts and prayers, as are you and your kids! it is a wonderful blessing to be able to draw strength from the gospel! hang in there!

Lauren in GA said...

That was so beautifully written. I loved hearing about your love and respect for your amazing wife. Thank you for posting this.