Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Finished!

       I have cross stitched everyone in my family a stocking.  I was able to get most of them done when I was put on bed rest for most of my pregnancies.  I wish these pictures showed the details better.  It’s hard to tell, but these are 100% counted cross stitch:

015

 

020

 

017

 

018

019

022

 

I had finished everyone but Jesse’s and was trying so hard to finish it before Christmas.  I worked and worked.  On Christmas Eve I was lamenting to Jesse that I had tried SO hard so that he would be able to use his stocking for Christmas next year, giving him the false impression that it wouldn’t be finished until 2009, without lying to him. 

Christmas morning came.  He opened one box and this is what was inside:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

016

 

 

Hooray!  I really enjoy doing these.  I love to cross stitch while watching TV.  It drives my family crazy, but it keeps my hands busy creating something.

I’m a little bit sad there is no one left in the family to make one for.  It was suggested that I start on my grandchildren (I wouldn’t cross stitch the names until after they were born.)   I have at least 10 years before grandchildren start coming.  Do I dare take this on?  If I do it for one, I will have to do it for all of them.  I guess we’ll see.

18 comments:

Lindsey said...

I just scooped my jaw off the floor. Those are completely and utterly AMAZING. Seriously. I think you could probably go into business and sell them on Etsy if you wanted. WOW. Beautiful. That is one seriously patient talent!

Melinda said...

good for you. counting all those little x's would drive me crazy. They are beautiful.

Darilyn said...

Those are gorgeous. I don't know how you did it. I mean I do know HOW you did it but sticking with a project like that for so long. I made all my families stockings when I was pregnant with my first. I knew exactly what I wanted but didnt know how many children we would have at that point. So I made a total of five and my mom made two for her and Ben so that in case I needed a couple more I would have them. Five ended up being perfect and I have just put their names on them after they were born.

As far as doing the ones for your grandchildren I have a yes and no to that. I would start with your oldest, Meagan right? Especially since she is a girl and would have the stronger feelings on such matters as what kind of Christmas stockings her family will have. As far as your boys go you just don't know what their wives will want. Although if they wouldn't want one of those there is something seriously wrong with them. Hey, I know. That should be part of the "Are they good enough for me son interview." Do they like the stockings? Okay, I've rambled about this topic long enough.

Shauna said...

If you really want to do more, there is always my family. Kidding! That is really amazing and they are so beautiful. I am impressed.

Lauren in GA said...

Those are so gorgeous!!! Your kids will look at them and have such happy memories!!!! I am in total awe!

Maybe you could make one for each of your childrens' spouses and add the names as a wedding gift.

Seriously, those are amazing!

Bridget said...

Good for you! So cool!!

Granny said...

Are you sure you are not cross-eyed after that?? Seriously they are amazing. Just another of Melissa's many talents. I know what you mean about keeping your hands busy. I have to knit while watching TV.

Rachel Johnson said...

Melissa those are absolutely incredible!! I can't even imagine the time and work you put into those beautiful stockings! Your kids ought to be so proud. What a treasure. Way to go, we ought to have a class on that and have you teach us how to do that- of course that is for those of us who don't know how to cross stitch. I learned long ago, but I couldn't tell you how to do one of those amazing stockings! Anyways, truly amazing!

Siouxsie said...

I'm so glad you posted those, Melissa. You deserve all the ooh-ing & ah-ing those inspire because they are stunning. WOW!! I'm feeling so inspired to keep on going on my projects. Those are really just so beautifully done. What an incredible heirloom to hold Christmas memories in for your children's lives. Dee-lightful!

Rohan Shearer said...

Those are amazing!!!

jessica said...

From one cross stitcher to another...You are AMAZING and CONGRATULATIONS! I know that feeling of finally finishing a huge project. It dawned on me a few weeks ago that I was Maya's age when I started cross stitching so I just bought her first cross stitching kit.

I'm sure Jesse was so surprised and he seems like a good husband who would appreciate all that hard work!

Tami said...

Those are absolutely breathtaking! What a huge undertaking. Congrats. Doing one for each of the grandkids reminds me of Sis. Martin's afghans for each of her grandkids and great grandkids. What a legacy!

Ilene said...

Beautiful! I am super impressed. My mom would love you. She cross stiched all of our stockings too. I have memories of being at the pool during the summer and my mom was sitting in the sun cross stiching another stocking.

Lyndsie Miles said...

Ok, my mouth is just hanging open! I've been wanting to do special Christmas stockings, but WHOA!

That had to have been so hard!

Katherine said...

I can't believe those are 100% cross stitched! There are so many details to them. The pictures are beautiful. How cool for each of your family members to have one of these. Definately make them for your grandkids. I know you can do it. :)

Hailey Vial said...

WOW!!! Those are incredible.

Becky said...

those are amazing, just one problem with jesse's though, I see santa, but no manger????

mahina said...

wow! those are gorgeous!