Thursday, December 11, 2008

All I Need to Know I Learned Teaching Preschool

I am in a Preschool Co-op. There are 8 of us moms which means we teach about every 2 months or so. IT IS SO FUN! I love interacting with these kids and this way I don't get burned out. It also saves me $75-100/month.


I was able to teach last week. The theme was Christmas and the Nativity. The letter of the week was "M."


Here are a few of the things I have learned teaching Preschool:

In one activity I put lots of bows on the ground. While the music played they danced while trying not to step on any bows. When the music stopped they would freeze. (Yes the child without his shirt on belongs to me. Watch his studly pose in the middle)


1. Dancing is cool

The children sang the alphabet song and when they got to the letter "M" they were instructed to fall to the ground.



2. Falling down is fun...when you are 3 and 4

For a snack, we made Christmas trees with ice cream cones, frosting, and decorations.

This little guy certainly enjoyed his.

3. Everything tastes better with frosting.

4. Simple is ALWAYS better.

5. Everything has to be fair.

6. Everyone needs to feel important.

7. When the doorbell rings, EVERYONE has to run to see who it is.

8. Little children performing the Nativity is one of the sweetest things in the world.

Next Monday night, the preschoolers will perform the Nativity for their families, costumes and all. I can't wait.

14 comments:

Heather said...

Melissa - you are too much - i can barely keep my four little ones entertained and look at you - doing it with your own and other peoples. More power to you!:0)

Darilyn said...

I love preschool co-ops. I have the best memories of when I did that with my kids. What a fun activity that you planned and I love that the kids are performing for their parents.

Lauren in GA said...

You are so awesome! What a fun pre-school teacher you are!

I love the pose!

Just Only Me said...

Definitely agree, anything with frosting tastes better! At our house, through desperate attempts, green beans have been known to dabble in it.

mahina said...

love the pose! they sure look like they are really enjoying themselves!

Katherine said...

Loved the studly pose. That's cool that you do the preschool co-op. Where did you get your cute ideas?

jessica said...

That is exactly why I changed my major from el ed to early childhood. I taught pre-school for five years and have organized four co ops...I love it!

♥Shally said...

LOVE it!!

Preschool age is the best.

MaryandDan said...

cute cute post! Makes me want to have a preschool Christmas party for Sophia. They are so fun at this age. You are a great mom! Thanks for calling, it was just what I needed and so fun to talk to you!

Ilene said...

I tried the co-op thing last year and I seriously stunk. I have absolutely no talent at keeping children entertained. Just ask my own children.

Philip and Melissa said...

I would love to go to preschool! Especially if you're in charge! :-)

Bridget said...

How fun. Preschool age is fun. I can't believe I am on my last preschooler.

Lyndsie Miles said...

ok, I've been wanting to have Josh in Preschool, but we're tight on money... this looks fun... what are the details of starting the co-op preschool?

Melissa said...

oh how fun, take pics and let us know how is goes!