Tuesday, August 12, 2008

All is well, all is well....

Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
Tis not so, all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward,
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take;
Our God will never us forsake,
And soon we’ll have this tale to tell,
All is well! All is well!


The experiences of this past week have been at best surreal. In many ways I have felt disconnected. Déjà vu. I have done all this before.

The day before we were to go home, Melissa felt weak and nauseous. Her head ached and she started running a fever. I started packing the bags to go to the hospital. We prayed. This time I gave her blessing in the room. Her body began swelling. She had a temperature that climbed above 102. We called the “on call” doctor. It was the same doctor as last time.

This time we called a cab and at 3:00a reached the Omega hospital. Melissa passed out twice on the way. I began emailing. I didn’t break down or go crazy I just shut down emotionally; a gift from Heavenly Father. Even now I still feel disconnected. They gave Melissa blood transfusions (2 units of blood). We learned she is allergic to the antibiotic. I sat by her for an hour while they worked on her. Then in a bed next to hers at the hospital – we both slept uneasily. I kept dreaming she had died. Then I would wake up and she was alive. I prayed all through my dreams. You prayed with me. We called Melissa’s dad to ask for help in getting airline flights fixed. Then I called and postponed our return flight twice. United was sympathetic to our plight and waived the fees.

After five hours Melissa color came back and her blood count looked good. She was still running a high fever, had nausea, and severe headache. Melissa doesn’t lie. But she tried to lie to us all and tell us she was fine and could ride home okay. She was desperate to be with the children. She was desperate to be out of there. We both were. She slept all day Saturday (the day we were supposed to go home). At 4:00am on Sunday morning the fever broke and her temperature started to drop. We were cleared to leave. We packed and at 5:30 we were on our way to the airport.

Melissa is in Seattle now. Our families have been great helping with the children. I came back to Boise to work – to pay for the medical bills. I will go back Thursday night and we should be back home by next Tuesday.

There are so so many people have harder things happen. Melissa didn’t die. We are so very blessed. I still feel disconnected. The Spirit drowns me. I want to get out of the “dentist chair”. I think I am a little tired of being stretched. I completely trust Heavenly Father. I have not been mobbed. I am not freezing to death pulling a handcart. I have not been tarred and feathered. Melissa is not dead. My children are healthy. I have been saved over and over…but if not, I would still have the gospel of Jesus Christ and a hope (to desire with expectation of obtainment of salvation) in Christ.

We are okay. We are stretched. Because Heavenly father loves us, when I think I can’t stretch anymore – I am stretched again.

I love Melissa. I am desperately in love with Melissa. I love Melissa and we love the Lord. Because we love him we can say regardless of what happens…all is well, all is well.

18 comments:

Just Only Me said...

How can words be any sweeter for a beloved wife than these? Glad for the update, you are in our every prayer!

The Roberts Family said...

I am grateful for the enabling power of the atonement that makes us equal to every task required of us. God bless you all.

The Roberts Family said...

The roberts family post is really Granny's post. For some reason I am logging in on their blogg. Don't ask me how I did that because I just lopened my computer, read your blog and posted my comment. Oh Well

Lindsey said...

It is amazing how mortality is so fleeting and what a blessing it is every day.

Katherine said...

Oh my. I love your way of telling us everything. You guys have been stretched. Really stretched. I'm so grateful that everything is okay. You're all still in my thoughts and prayers.

Becky said...

We are so glad to hear she is well, and coming home soon. We miss you all. you are welcome to take dave away to a movie or something while you are alone!

Kris said...

So glad to hear that Melissa is o.k. we have been thinking and praying for you both! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Bridget said...

Wow. You guys have really seen hard times and are so strong through it all. My prayers will continue to be wtih you.

Ilene said...

Thanks for sharing the news and I am so glad that Melissa is okay and that she has such a loving husband by her side to get through these physical and emotional challenges.

And I agree, enough stretching already! You guys could so be spiritual yoga instructors.

jessica said...

I am so glad that you have been able to feel the hand of the Lord in all of this. I can't imagine going through all of that. It's just another testimony to me that prayer is real and it works...and the gospel is true. Hang in there!

Thanks for keeping everyone updated.

Teresa said...

I'm so glad she is doing well. That had to be so stressful through all of that! I love the way you write. It always touches me...and I love how you write about Melissa and your love for her. It's so sweet. Hang in there guys. You'll be in our prayers.

MaryandDan said...

Oh, so grateful all is well. Blessings for wonderful people. Thank you for the update. Good luck getting your family home.

Jen said...

I'm so glad to know things are good--I've been anxiously waiting for an update. Good luck with recovery--I know it will still be difficult for a while. We will be praying for you!

Shauna said...

Glad to hear all is well. Hope for continued recovery and back to full health!

Melissa said...

YOu guys are amazing.Your wonderful family, your faith, and your strength. I hope that she is feeling better and that everything is going well. I hope that you are feeling better and comforted.

Becca said...

I am glad to hear that melissa is getting better. You two have been through a lot these last couple of months. You are truely blessed.

Lauren in GA said...

Thank you for this update.

I do the same thing...I always compare myself to the pioneers and the Prophets...Just know you have every right to feel stretched. You have been through so much with several unexpected twists.

Teri said...

I am amazed at your courage! I hope you are feeling much better melissa. I am excited to read about your family!