Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Golden Spike Adventure - A Party Boys/Megan Drew Mystery

I, Jesse, call Hunter, Braden, Addison, Chase, and myself the "Party Boys". When the Party Boys go adventuring and Megan comes along then she is of course "Megan Drew". Periodically the Party Boys and Megan Drew have adventures or mysteries. There is of course the mystery of Dad's Hidden Keys, the Salt Lake City Adventure, and now there is The Golden Spike Adventure. (Anything we do becomes and “adventure”)

While Melissa's mom was staying with us (we will now refer to her as Grandma), Melissa's Dad (now referred to as Grandpa) emailed with a "wild idea". He wondered if on the Saturday before Mother's Day the Party Boys and Megan Drew wanted to go on an adventure to the Golden Spike Anniversary. His concern was that it would be four hours there, a couple of hours at the Golden Spike Historic Site, and four hours back. This whole adventure was to be completed in one day. He wasn't sure. What Grandpa didn't know was that on my side of the family there is gypsy blood.






Jesse's Mom (now referred to as Grandy) has been known to show up at school (when Jesse was younger) and with the car packed kidnap the children and whisk them away for adventures. The blood runs true in me as well.



So with very little warning, the Party Boys and Megan Drew aided by Grandma, Grandpa and Mom (yes that would be Melissa the Great!) packed the car and off they all went leaving poor Grandma and Melissa all alone what would they do without the Party Boys and Megan Drew???











Truth be known I have always wanted to go to see the Golden Spike Monument at Promontory Point, Utah. In fourth grade my part of the fourth grade play (I grew up in SLC, Utah - explains a lot doesn't it) I had the part about the Golden Spike.



It was a great day. Because it was the anniversary we all got to go onto the trains, the actual trains. We saw a reenactment of the events of that day. Hunter had a horrible rash and an angel lady gave us Swedish Fish (which as everyone knows makes Party Boys and Megan Drew feel better) and some anti-itch spray.



We had a great time. Everyone traveled well and I can't imagine having shared it with anyone better than Grandpa. We have decided to make Grandpa an Honorary "Party Boy".







The only sad part as pointed out by Addison was that Mom and Grandma missed the adventure.

15 comments:

Melissa said...

oh looks like you guys had some serious fun! And I was reading your older post about you loving FHE and just to let you know, I host a monday circus called Family Moment Monday where people on monday will post ideas that help the family spend time together. You can snag family ideas or even post some of your own and get some traffic coming your way. Just thought you might be interested

Bridget said...

How fun! Megan Drew...that is so cute. What great memories for your kids.

Granny said...

I love it!!!!

Shauna said...

What a fun day for the "Party Boys" and "Megan Drew." And what a fun (and brave) Grandpa for suggesting it and going along. Cute pictures too.

Becky said...

It is always a hard thing for me to be left at home, strange, I know. I am torn between great alone time, and wanting to be a part of everything!!
Love the last minute adventures! right up my alley!

Becky said...

p.s. so, Jesse, are you a blogger AND a scrapbooker now??

Melissa-Mc said...

becky, I put the picture collages together. I just asked him to write it up since I hadn't gone. So there.

mahina said...

that sounds like a blast! what great memories your kids will have of their "adventures"!

Tonya said...

I love the idea of kidnapping the kids for an adventure. You had a cool Mom Jesse! I guess that's why the McComber kids now have a cool Dad:0)I love that it was Grandpa's idea and that you actually made it happen!

Tami said...

What an adventure! Don't you just love living close to major historical sites like that? And I'm sure there was a lot of, "When I was a kid..." moments thrown in for good measure, right? Glad you got to go!! And love the pages, Melissa. :)

Just Only Me said...

What fun family memories you've captured. Those pages are cute, they'll mean a lot to the kids when they're all grown up!

MaryandDan said...

What a fun dad!!! And fun Grandpa! Great memories! Thanks for the great inspiration for FHE. I forgot about that game! You have such a fun family! Fun to follow your adventures!

Katherine said...

Hi guys! It's Katherine(Morris). I was talking to Kristan W the other day and she told me about your blog. I don't have any of your current addresses anymore--so I was really excited to look you up. I don't know how I got out of touch. I'm just amazed at what you've had to go through just recently. We need to talk. Your kids are beautiful. So glad to be in touch again. I've missed you.

Scribbit said...

I meant to tell you other night that you probably don't remember this at all but for our wedding your parents gave me this gorgeous casserole/lasagna pan which I use constantly. Every time I pull it out it reminded me--I can't believe it's lasted this long without being broken. Silly story but there it is.

Lauren in GA said...

I love it!!! The title is fantastic!!! It sounded like so much fun :)


The picture collage is so great, too.