Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bumps, Bruises and Blessings

Today at lunch, my 3-year-old, Addison, stood up on a stool while eating at the kitchen counter. He lost his balance and hit head first on the hard-wood floor. He immediately got sleepy. He went to bed and we checked on him every 10-20 minutes to make sure he was responsive.

One hour later he woke up inconsolable. He was crying non-stop, but would not talk or respond to my questions. He couldn't seem to remember anything that had happened. After intense crying for about 15 minutes he threw up. I was trying to help him get from my bed to the bathroom and he became unconscious. I couldn't let him fall and so I carried him to my bathroom. I am not suppose to lift anything more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. He weighs 35 pounds.

I called my pediatrician who said to take him to the ER immediately and not wait at all. I called my friend, Melinda, who immediately took my2-year-old (even though she was in charge of a teacher appreciation lunch at school). We tried to rouse Addison to go down the stairs and get in the car. He would not move. My mom has MS and tried as hard as she could to carry him down the stairs but could not. I knew that I could not lift him either. I hurried and called my neighbor, Kathleen, who came immediately. She ran up the stairs and carried Addison down and into the car.

We sped to the ER where Jesse met us. He was admitted right away and began vomiting. He was given Zofran which finally stopped the vomiting. He just slept and we kept trying to wake him up. They did a CT scan. There is no significant bleeding, but he does have a concussion. He has been sleeping all afternoon. We have to wake him every hour until 11:00 am tomorrow just to make sure he is responsive.

For those of you who know my son, he is not a sedate child. To see him so listless and drowsy is horrible.




Thanks to Melinda for taking Chase, Kathleen for getting Addison in the car, Jesse for administering a priesthood blessing and to our good friend, Dr J. who took care of him in the ER.
I can't imagine how Jesse must be feeling. If you have not read our experiences of the last few weeks, read some of the blog entries below. Jesse has been through an emotional roller coaster.
As horrible as my ER visit was last week, I kept wishing it was me in there today and not my son. I am grateful for the priesthood, modern medicine, and for prayer. Between my mom, Jesse, and me, we can take turns checking on Addison during the night.
I am trying to be strong and am feeling really unstrong right now. I am exhausted physically and emotionally. I hurt all over, and it hurts to cry. I am going to take a big fat Rx pain-killer and go to sleep.

17 comments:

Rachel Johnson said...

Oh my gosh you guys, you have been given some challenges!! I hope all is well, we will pray for your family and hope things start looking up and stay on the uphill from here on out, you've been through a ton lately!! Call me Melissa if you need any help, I am usually home. Good luck and stay strong.

Ilene said...

Call me for babysitting. NO JOKE. I can even come by and pick what kid(s) you need babysat up. We are neighbors after all.

I can find references too, should you need them. 887-4820. I would call you but I don't have your number.

I also have lots of girly movies for you to watch while you are "recovering" at home with five kids.

jessica said...

Can't you guys get a break! You must be some pretty amazing people to be able to handle all of the craziness that is being thrown your way.

Sending more prayers your way...

Oh and totally call Ilene you are one lucky girl to be benefiting from my loss.

Becky said...

you go girl! drug up! you deserve it!
I just can't believe it, I hope he is up and terrorizing your house by morning.
do you need me to call on the hour, every hour? anything for you

mahina said...

in response to jess' comment, you guys ARE amazing people!

man, i sure hope this is the last emergency for a very, very long time! i think you've had more than your fair share!

take care of yourself and that cute little boy of yours!

Teresa said...

Wow! How scary! It's so hard to see your baby suffer at all with anything, and it sounds like that whole experience was pretty stressful! Thank goodness he is going to be okay. That had to be so scary. And you are anything but "unstrong". Strong doesn't mean you don't feel things or that you don't cry or that you don't feel like you're breaking inside...it just means you keep going because you have to, and you are. You guys are incredibly strong. I sure hope you get a long time of peace after this with no more emergencies.

You guys are amazing and I hope Addison recovers quickly and that you continue to heal and get better as well. Hugs to you.

Darilyn said...

I can't believe this happened today. I'm so glad you have such wonderful people around you to help you.

Shauna said...

Oh my, Melissa, your family has been through so much. I hope cute little Addison is feeling like himself again soon and I hope you are feeling better quickly. Hang in there and our thoughts and prayers are still with you.

Rachael said...

Can we just put your whole family in a bubble. I can't believe your string of incidents. I hope he recovers quickly and that everyone else just stays in bed and doesn't do anything for weeks. You need a REST!

Tami said...

Melissa, I am SO sorry to hear about this. Hang in there. You can do this. Thankfully there were people around to help. We will start up the McOmber prayer cycle again...! Pray for McOmbers, eat, pray for McOmbers, go to bed, pray for McOmbers, get up, repeat.

Love you!!

Debbie said...

Melissa, I am Shauna's Mom. In a few weeks everything will look much better. Hang in there- You're gonna make it!

Lauren in GA said...

Bless your heart! How scary! I am glad that he doesn't have any internal bleeding.


You have been through so much as of late! I am so sorry...

I hope you can get some rest and your body can heal without more pain.

Take Ilene up on her fabulous offer...watch some great movies and try to rest... I know that is easier said than done.

Bridget said...

This does NOT sound like something you need right now! I a so sorry to hear about that. Here's to a LONG time before another ER visit. Good luck. Glad you have good neighbors to help you out.

Tonya said...

Melissa- we were out of town for almost two weeks, so I just spent the last 30 or so minutes reading through all your latest happenings. I can't believe all the trials you and your family have had to endure lately. You are a pillar of strength to me! I am so sorry for all that has been happening. I hope little Addison is fully recovered very quickly and that very soon you and Jesse can have the peace and quiet you deserve. You guys seriously amaze me. My testimony has been strengthened through reading your words. Sending love and prayers from the Gold family;0)

Scott-n-Allison said...

For as much as we wish our babies would just be still sometimes, when it really happens it's amazing how wrong it feels. Head trauma is so hard, and sleep is what his body will do in order to recover...and I hope he will recover soon! We are sending our prayers your way...lots of love, too!

Kris said...

Jesse and Melissa,

I feel so bad for you! I am so glad you are both o.k. and on the mend. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep the faith and know that you are loved!

Lindsey said...

Wow. Super scary... SUPER. I am glad he is going to be ok.