Tuesday, November 22, 2011

One More Angel in Heaven

This past month has been an emotional, frantic whirlwind. On October 14th, my amazing mother-in-law was diagnosed with terminal cancer.




Monday night, November 21st, on her birthday, she passed away at 11:40 pm.


5-1/2 weeks from diagnoses to death. I can't even process all of this.




When she found out that she might not live to Thanksgiving, she began frantically making desserts and freezing them, so that we could enjoy them on Thanksgiving. Tomorrow, we will gather at her house, and we will enjoy those pies and cakes.




She will be sorely missed. As devastating as this is, we are so grateful for the gospel, the Savior, and the Plan of Salvation.






This picture says it all. She was a fireball with a feisty personality to go with her red hair. She was always thinking of others, and her true joy came from seeing others happy. She led a righteous and virtuous life. She raised 7 wonderful children, and I am grateful everyday that I have a husband that treats me so kindly, has a strong testimony of the gospel, and can cook and clean better than I can.





Grandy, we love you forever!



9 comments:

Darilyn said...

Oh, wow! I am so sorry for your loss. It really puts Thanksgiving in perspective, huh? Enjoy every moment with your family because you never know when it may be your last time with them. That picture makes me cry. I hope I'm seen like that some day. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Heather said...

Oh Melissa - Give Jesse our best! That is so sad and It makes you so grateful for the gospel! We love you guys! Happy Thanksgiving!

Teresa said...

Oh, that's heartbreaking! That photo truly says a LOT about her. I absolutely love it. And that she made you all desserts...don't even know what to say to that...just that it's so touching.

We hope this is somehow still able to be a special Thanksgiving. Death is such a difficult thing. It's a rejoicing for those who pass (I imagine it's amazing where she is), but it's so hard for the family left behind...to continue life without their loved one. Much love & prayers. (((hugs)))

Melinda said...

I'm so glad you were all able to be with her and with the family. She seemed like a lady with her priorities straight even until her last days. And I love the picture. She's in a really nice outfit, but getting down and dirty with the kids is what she chooses to do.

jessica said...

Wow...you have been through it. We just found out my mother in law is terminal and Aric is leaving on Friday to go spend a few days with her. It is absolutely too much to process. My heart goes out to you and Jesse. This is all so real for us. Sadly we are right there with you...thank heavens we have the gospel, but even with that precious knowledge, this is so very hard.

Sending hugs and prayers your way...

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

I can't even imagine how hard this has been to deal with, only having a short time before she passed away. It's still hard to believe.

Just wanted you and Jesse to know you're in my thoughts and hope you're feeling some peace and strength.

Lauren in GA said...

I am so, so, sorry for your loss. 5-1/ weeks is heartbreakingly fast.

I love this tribute post, Melissa. The things you said about her are lovely. How selfless she was to even make sure that her loved ones had dessert to eat for Thanksgiving. What an amazing lady.

I love that picture of her in the pool. She looks like she knew how to have fun...and she raised wonderful children and lived and loved the gospel. Thank you for sharing her memory with all of us.

Scott-n-Allison said...

She really was such a firecracker! I always enjoyed seeing her when she came to visit. I know you will all miss her so much!

Sending love and hugs your way. xoxo

Darilyn said...

Hey Melissa, heard your dad speak today. Had no idea he was your dad until he mentioned it. I loved his talk and it made me smile the whole time. Your family has been in my prayers since your last post on here. I hope you all have been finding peace in the loss of Jesse's mom.