Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Another Dull Day at the Ranch

Today Chase and Addison were sitting on a chair together. They must have been a little squished, because Chase fell off of the chair and onto the hard edge of a piece of furniture. After it happened (I was not in the room), I heard lots of screaming and panic. A mother is never prepared to see her child covered in blood, even if it is just a mild cut or scrape.

There was lots of blood and the cut was deep. We went to urgent care. Sequence of events following the incident:

* Wait about 5 minutes

* Chase refuses to get weighed, have his temp taken or sit on the exam table

* The nurse puts numbing gel on a very angry Chase and gets all the suture materials together

* From here until it is done, Chase is SCREAMING and I am trying to whisper words of encouragement

* Chase is strapped into a papoose to keep him still and unmoving

* First attempt, nurse holding him down, he fights so hard, he gets out of the papoose and pulls the needle

* Now they must re-gather clean supplies

* Second attempt, nurse holds him down, I hold him down, and he still gets out of the papoose

* Call in another nurse to hold him down, 4 adults now holding him down

* Doctor quickly puts in stitches

* From the time of the fall, to getting home after the doctor visit = 1 hour. Pretty good, all things considered.

IMG_0403

PICT0127

Things were so hectic, I didn't get a picture of the mess, but here is one from last month:

IMG_0201

As soon as we got home, he began climbing couches, tables, and countertops. Will he ever learn? It is like he is a 2-year-old or something. His strong will and determination will serve him well someday.

IMG_0405

Update: Here he this morning

20 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

He must be so strong to get out of a papoose not once but twice! He will love being that strong one day!

I'm so sorry. That is never easy on the momma. My son had to have stitches around the same age and I thought I was gonna croak. Perhaps, I should have had them put me in a papoose.

Lauren in GA said...

He is still so handsome and, ya know...they say chicks love scars ;)

Darilyn said...

Oh my goodness. What a day you had. That is crazy. Can you the believe the things we go through with our children? He is so stinkin cute though, stitches and all.

Melinda said...

Oh my gosh.........do things ever slow down over there? I"m so so sorry. remember your motto.........life is to be enjoyed. Glad you had an ENJOYABLE day yesterday.

Heather said...

What a day! those type of days come at the most convenient moments! Wink wink!

Lindsey said...

Aw, glad he is ok! Love the bloody mommy pix! Such is life with a two year old!!! :)

♥Shally said...

I bet that was almost harder on you than him!!

Katherine said...

What an hour! I LOVE that you put the picture of you on here too. That is a major boo boo he has!

Shauna said...

Oh the picture of you with the blood, yucky. Poor Chase, that's gotta hurt. Hopefully it will heal quickly.

paula said...

OUCH.My boys split there heads open so much the doc gave me some anethe?? numbing stuff in a syringe and some suture string and needle to do it myself at home. I had already practiced on the goat several times . We ended up just using glue. I was called several times from the hospital ER Making sure I was not abusing my kids. Good luck !!Paula

Becky said...

chase chase chase! why couldn't you have named him something safer like, sitstill, or calm, or mellow (you could call him mel, that isn't so bad!)
so he doesn't like being touched when he is in pain huh, we understand!

Granny said...

I remember the first time one of my kids got a scalp wound. They bleed the most of anywhere. Good job Mommy! Just one more day in the journey!

Bridget said...

OH, wow that does not look or sound fun at all! My youngest fell off the counter when he was 3. Required 17 stitches in his chin. I feel your pain. It was not a fun day.

Philip and Melissa said...

oh GOSH! for the love of all that's holy! the pic of you and the blood is a symbol of a mom that will carry her kid thru thick and thin. blood or not. Give chase a big from liv and i!

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh, I'm so sad for the little guy! It's so hard for two year olds to hold still... and not climb.
Man, it's amazing just how strong he is! I guess he has to being the youngest. =)
I'm impressed you were out around an hour! I hope his swelling goes down quickly.

Ilene said...

Being a mom takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.

You are a trooper. What is with the two-year-old monkies? I'm just waiting for Thomas' guardian angels to turn their back for a minute and have our first trip to the emergency room.

Rosemary said...

Only one hour? That's great. Looks like he's going to have a great black eye. Glad he's OK. Head wounds are always so scary.

jessica said...

I hate owies. I hate blood. I could never be a nurse.

That is so amazing that you were able to be in and out within an hour! Chase is one tough cookie.

Tonya said...

Major OUCH!!!

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Oh my gosh. What would you do with just an ordinary day??