Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Allergy Woes

Throughout my life I have counted myself blessed that I did not suffer from allergies. Spontaneously, however, my body decided to develop severe allergies to the outdoors when I was 32 years of age. It is a mystery to me since I was not living in a new place and not around new plants, etc.

I have not found any remedies that really work as of yet. Either a medication flat out does not touch my symptoms, or they put me into a near-comatose state. Here have been my 2 options:

1. Take nothing and my energy is completely zapped and I sit on a couch gazing off into space, unable to do anything but change an occasional diaper and, perhaps, attempt to make toast or a sandwich.

2. Take medications that ease the symptoms, but render me so sleepy that my energy is completely zapped and I sit on a couch gazing off into space, unable to do anything but change an occasional diaper and, perhaps, attempt to make toast or a sandwich.

In a couple of days, we are hosting a family reunion on Jesse’s side of the family. We will have 30 people staying in our home for 3 days. On Saturday Braden will be baptized.

Due to extreme allergies these last couple of weeks, here are some random shots of my house:







Do you think I’m ready? I stare at my house and still can’t muster up the energy to do anything about it. Every couple of hours I will call for children to start cleaning. Then I lose steam.

The guests begin arriving tomorrow. The UP SIDE: I am SO EXCITED for the reunion and baptism. Luckily both Jesse’s and my family are very easy and undemanding guests, great sports and always so helpful.

And now…I am going to go take a nap…

18 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hey, don't worry about it. My bedroom looks like that ALL the time! :)

Shauna said...

Oh my, I feel for you. I have never had a month of June in my life without allergies. The entire month of June is itchy eyes, sneezing and wheezing. Thank goodness July has come. Sounds like a fun reunion and good luck getting ready.

mahina said...

oh that is so stinky! i don't have allergies, yet (crossing my fingers) but mitch does every year. he looks and sounds and feels miserable! i feel so bad for you allergy sufferers! mitch tried flonase this year and he seems much better!! try it if you haven't already!

have fun with your family! and congratulations to braden on his decision to get baptized!

Scott-n-Allison said...

You just have to remember that your family already knows you are terrific...the state of your house won't change that opinion. So, just ENJOY the reunion...the house will be cluttered by the time it's over anyway! Clean up AFTER!

Sorry about the allergies. Mine have gotten worse every year since moving back to Oregon. I love cold grey days now because they make my eyes feel better!

Katherine said...

How fun for all of you to get together. I love that you showed your house. It cracks me up. It just helps me know I'm not the only one. I was just going crazy today with how messy everything is---then I read your blog and it made feel like I'm not alone. I don't have any excuses though. The best picture was the grapenuts. That was so funny. Say hello to everyone.

Siouxsie said...

I hope you have a great visit with everyone. I can't believe little Braden is old enough to get baptized. Has it really been that long since we've seen you guys? Time has just flown. Well, I hope everything just goes fantastic and that everyone has a great visit!

Hailey Vial said...

Welcome to my world. Allergies have plagued me for years, and every year I try something new. This year it's Zurtec, or the costco knock off. I even have CC on it's childrens version. It's working somewhat, I also love Alevert-D (the D is important), but they don't sell it in Oregon due to the D (it's of the stuff Meth is made out of in it.)
I also just bought a pricey eye drop rx, but my kids have magically made it disappear. It was called Pat-a-day.
Anywho, I've been there, it stinks. Hope you find relief. I finally had to get laser eye surgery last year because I was rubbing my contacts to shreds.

Thanks for posting on mine, I've been stalking your blog and talking to Paula about all your tummy drama. I had forgotten that we talked about our pregnancy problems together. It seems so far away now that we have so many kids. It was a definite blessing when we had CC, but a complete shock and surprise when we got pregnant so quickly, and with twins. Yikes, I'm still recovering.
We have been blessed, and I am so happy for you and your beautiful family. Reading Jesse's entries during your surgery and recovery were beautiful and I was having a hard to continuing because of the tears. I hope everything continues to go well, and I'm very thankful that you posted your experience. I know that by sharing our life, we bless others.
You are amazing!
Hailey

Granny said...

Melissa, I see that one of your friends suggested Flonase. I use that every day and find it really helps me and I don't get drowsy. Hope you finde something that works. That out of it feeling is not fun. Especially for Moms

Just Only Me said...

Allergies stink. Maybe we should all relocate to Hawaii, I hear there aren't any there...

Becky said...

oh melissa! I am sorry to not be around to help you! my parents picked a bad time to move, they should have confered with you first! good luck, set your timer and........go!

Granny said...

Melissa, I forgot to mention the Netti Pot. That is the single most helpful tool I have ever used for my allergies and for the chronic sinitus that goes along with my showgirls syndrom. Try it-you'll like it.

Darilyn said...

I wish I were there to lessen some of your burden of housecleaning. That is rough; not feeling well and having things to get done. I have never had allergies myself but my daughter and husband have them and I can't stand to see the misery in their faces. It's tough.

Jen said...

I say stay on the couch and call a housekeeping service so you feel ready for company! Then go to your room, lock the door, and take a nap while they are there! Allergies stink!!

Melissa said...

at least you have some kids that can help... I swear my house is worse and I can't get my husband or sister (who is living with us) to help clean... well... unless I have a tearful break down about the never ending mess.... that seems to do that trick :)

Teresa said...

I feel for you (and laugh as I read your entry)! Lately I have been so wiped out too, though mine is from pregnancy and probably the stupid gestational diabetes diet since i"m eating less carbs. It only took three dishwasher loads to finally get all the dishes clean in our kitchen.

Maybe they can figure out an allergy med that gives energy as well (can they add speed to it?). Good luck with the house! By the way, it doesn't look that bad at all...though it looks like a lot of work for one who has no energy and has guests coming! Good luck;-)

MaryandDan said...

Hi Melissa, I just had so much fun getting caught up on your blog! I think you win the award for keeping up and getting the most comments!!! I loved the pictures of all your rooms. I have days like that every week, where I go from room to room and think where do I begin? Then I get it all done, just to be undone the next day! But sweet little children we are blessed with! Sorry to hear about those allergies! Surely since they can go to the moon, they can come up with something better for allergies! Have a great weekend enjoying all your wonderful families! Thanks for always having something fun to read on your blog! Love, Mary

Tonya said...

I just started to get allergies a couple of years ago. They are MISERABLE! I am so sorry about your suffering:0( I can't believe Braden is getting baptised. CRAZY! That will be Sophia in August. Woah! Have fun with all your family and don't stress so much about the messes or shove evrything under the beds and nobody will ever know!

Lauren in GA said...

I so feel for you...allergies are the pits.

You are so cute...I love how you listed your 2 options and well, they were EXACTLY the same ;)

at least you haven't lost your sense of humor, right? :)