Monday, September 8, 2008

Having What You Don't Want Versus Wanting What You Don't Have

Today was Addison's first day of Preschool. He has been SO excited. This morning he quickly got dressed, ate breakfast and got his backpack all ready and hung out by the door. He couldn't wait.




Addison and Chase got in their carseats and we were off. We pulled up and got out of the car. All of a sudden Addison had a change of heart. This is what he looked like going into preschool:













I dragged him in and their was much hiding, pouting and tears. After lots of bribery, Chase and I left. Guess how Chase felt about the situation? He started crying and throwing a tantrum, because he wanted to stay!


What is wrong with this picture?



My 3-year-old is crying because he has to go to preschool, but DOES NOT want to.



My 2-year-old is crying because he can't go to preschool, but he WANTS to.



After 15 minutes, this was what Chase looked like:





I kept trying to explain that this was going to be great. He had me all to himself. He has never gotten that before. I coaxed him up to my room. We snuggled in bed, read stories, and played.



When we went to pick up Addison this is what we saw:




After all was said and done, both boys were beaming from ear to ear. Addison asked when he could come to preschool again. Where else do you get first-day floats in the morning?

22 comments:

Lindsey said...

Can I go to preschool with him???

Siouxsie said...

Those are awesome pictures! I laughed and laughed at those. Hope you're feeling good. :-)

Melinda said...

I'm a witness that Chase was still crying and calling for Addison 20 minutes later. I called Melissa to tell her that Addison was at least in the same room with the other kids in the preschool. I could barely hear her talk back because Chase was soooooooo upset!

Glad it all worked out. It usually does with Addison.

Darilyn said...

What great pictures. They really helped tell the story. It had me laughing.

mahina said...

isn't that how it is? it seems with nani and lala we have a lot of the same thing. for example, when we are anywhere that has rides like sea world or disneyland, etc. lala wants to go on all the big rides, but isn't tall enough. nani is tall enough, but doesn't want anything to do with the big rides!

those pictures are classic! hopefully tomorrow goes much smoother!

Bridget said...

So.so true. The crying pictures are so funny. It makes you wonder what our poor children think of us mommy bloggers when we get the camera out at times like that!

Tami said...

I love the bottom lip pucker in the first pic! Soooo funny! So who does he get THAT from??

♥Shally said...

First day FLOATS!

Awesome.

GREAT way to get the kid to want to come back :)

Becky said...

I love his big pouty lip! almost like it was staged, but it was all real!
I think this will be a fun experience! If chase needs a school you can get his backpack on and walk him to my house. could be fun!

jessica said...

Yesterday Maya had to stay home from school because she had a sore throat. She wanted to go to school so bad. Eden started pretend coughing because she wanted to stay home from school! Honestly!

The pictures are adorable, I especially love Chase's fit.

Tonya said...

That is an awesome story that will be laughed at for many years to come! I want a morning float for breakfast! It has to be chocolate though:0)

Lauren in GA said...

Oh those sad boy pictures are hearbreaking and adorable.

Kris said...

Such cute boys, isn't that how it always is though...do we ever really grow out of it? Your story inspires me to be thankful for what I do have...a very quiet house all day long, all to myself. I am really trying to appreciate the silence.

Katherine said...

That is all so funny! It's so great that you got all of their expressions on camera too. That will be so funny to look at in years to come. Tyler started 1st grade a few weeks ago and I am missing having my little buddy home during the day.

Scott-n-Allison said...

The grass is always greener...

Your boys are both SOOO cute.

Hailey Vial said...

Irony, I love it in kids.

Shauna said...

So funny, it is true. Isn't it nice to just have one child to focus on for a while?

Just Only Me said...

It's hard to be the one left behind! Poor little guy.

Teresa said...

That is hilarious! hehe!!

MaryandDan said...

So fun to read! Darling boys. They will always be best buddies!

Shauna said...

Melissa, did you make your blog private? For some reason I can't get to your new post.

Ilene said...

I swear my kid is the only 4-year-old not in preschool. I really dropped the ball with that one.

Do they let people sign up for second semester?

Does preschool have a second semester?